Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mini crisis... (final update @ 6:00pm, 30th Dec)

Earlier this evening (29th December) after dinner, Edi took his medication as usual. But apparently for some inexplicable reason, he took the wrong medication. He was supposed to take a variant of aspirin, but instead he took the medication meant to lower his blood pressure (Covasc). He only realised it after we came back from the pasar malam nearby to buy some fruits and biscuits. He was feeling a little "strange" as he put it.

Not surprisingly, he soon became stressed and decided to go to the clinic. Lucky he called and the nurse said the doctor was about to leave soon. After requesting for the doctor to wait a short while, I accompanied him to the clinic which is about 5 minutes' walk away.

The anxiety he was feeling showed up in his BP which the doctor measured. Instead of lowering his BP (which the drug is supposed to do), it actually went up. I was called into the consultation and the doctor instructed me to take Edi's BP reading every hour from that point in time. She said that if the reading goes too low or too high, then it's best Edi be sent to the nearest hospital. Edi requested her to give a letter for admission in case he needed to be warded some time in the next few hours to morning.

I took the first reading at 11pm. It was a bit higher than his normal reading ( I keep track of it every week ). At 12am I took another reading and it was a bit lower than his usual. As I write this now, it will be another 15 minutes before the next reading. Hopefully it won't show a yet lower reading. If it does, I'd have to be on the lookout for symptoms of low blood pressure. Ben has already told me to call him at any time in case I need help. I hope it isn't necessary..

update: as at 1:00am his BP reading looks a bit more "normal"

Right now I just surf and chat a bit with Lemon from Penang who wants to keep me company. I just told him to go sleep since he has to work tomorrow..

update: as at 2:00am his BP remains fairly "normal"

Edi is going back to his room to sleep. He was on the lazy chair at the dining area since we came back from the clinic.

I am going to sleep too..

Will post updates when available.


update: this morning's readings seem just a little high. I think he didn't have enough proper sleep. Also, he has been taking some medication for his runny nose which has been ongoing for a couple of days already. He's resting on the lazy chair. Will monitor for the rest of the day.


update: by 2:00pm he looked rather weak and his BP was low. He was sweating a bit and so I decided to bring him to the hospital. Lucky I managed to get FS to come as he was on leave and was in bangsar area. I called the hospital but the regular cadiologist attending to Edi was on leave, and I had to make a quick appointment to see another cardiologist.

FS fetched us to the hospital. There were quite a number of patients and Edi was feeling rather cold. Finally when his turn came, the cardiologist read his medical history and examined him. He diagnosed Edi as having "acute depressive anxiety". In his actual words, he said Edi "got his heart back after the bypass in Melbourne, but he has yet to get his life back mentally". He advised Edi not to worry at all about his heart : it's in perfect condition, but he has to begin addressing his mental outlook about his condition.

As I write this update, it is 6:00pm and we just got back. I think he will be fine from now. It won't be overnight, but at least he has the assurance that his medical condition is not an issue anymore. For that, we are all grateful...


Till the next posting, and take care you all~~!!!

2 comments:

i'm shin... i'm inesen said...

bahaya jugak ek kalo salah makan obat... semoga pakcik pakcik sekelian sihat2 selalu yer

Unknown said...

Anxiety attack is pretty common for people who had undergone trauma...Edi you are in good hands, you lucky devil !!!!
Come back to Australia for a check up soon.
T.