Monday, September 06, 2010

From bass to treble : which shall it be...?




The standard frequency range for judging sound quality is 20hz to 20khz. And that's what the Shure headphones (pic above) can achieve. My Klipsh speakers can only go down to 32hz, but it can throw some mean punches with the low C notes and flap the edges of your pants.

My new Shure SRH240 headphones goes lower, but without the blasting punch. It does however do much justice to the bass nuances clearly. Male voices (which are difficult to reproduce via speakers) are very clear and the high trebles are pretty well expressed without being too sibilant.

My only grouse is that since the headphones are the cup variety, it can get a bit warm around the ears, and I do tend to sweat a bit more there. But I solved it by covering the cup with a thin towel material which does not deaden the clarity of high notes.

I have been pleasantly surprised by many of the mp3's and audio CD's I have been listening to all these years when I use the Shure. I hear subtleties I've never heard before via my normal speakers. Now I have to re-equalise many of the mp3's with Adobe Audition so that they will sound even better via my Klipsch speakers.

Ah well.. more tasks to do from now on, I guess. And that's not counting the numerous recordings I've yet to do with the vinyls.. that is, IF I can get a decent 2nd hand turntable..

Till the next posting~~~!!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

buy new speaker lor

cityZS said...

hehehee... cannot..